Cubic Transportation Systems announced the launch of its NextWave Mobile Business System, a platform that enables transit operators to rapid and securely provide new mobile services to its customers.
NextWave simplifies the complexity of deploying mobile services by providing a cloud-based platform that integrates with both closed- and open-loop contactless fare systems, payment processors, mobile networks, NFC platforms, and both iOS and Android smart phones and tablets.
With NextWave, transit agencies can quickly introduced an agency-branded mobile app backed by a cloud-based array of support services that
- Leverage NFC technology to turn a mobile phone into a contactless fare card, reducing the reliance on physical card distribution
- Enable mobile fare purchases by turning NFC enabled mobile phones into the equivalent of a ticket vending machine that can re-load contactless transit cards in real time
- Offer customer support through mobile self-services, including managing all fare purchases; reviewing balances, transactions and fare charges; and receiving notifications about account status and usage
- Help travelers plan journeys and receive alerts about travel conditions
- Generate new revenues by leveraging advertising and mobile marketing opportunities
During a recent two month trial participants purchased fare products, checked card balances and found travel and transaction histories directly through interaction with a mobile app running on both Apple and Android devices. The NextWave system provided the app connectivity into to the agency’s back office effectively making the mobile phone an integrated terminal on the fare system network equivalent to in-station vending machines and card validators on buses.
A recent survey conducted by Pew Research reported that more than 91% of the adult population has a cell phone and more than 58% of these are now smart phones. This grew from 46% during the period extending from February 2012 to May 2013. Further survey results indicate a very strong correlation between transit ridership profiles and market segments having higher percentages of smart phone ownership.