UNICAPT™ confirms its status as the world’s number one secure transaction and payment platform
Ingenico, the world’s leading provider of secure transaction and payment systems, has just announced that shipments of its UNICAPT™ 32-based terminals exceeded the 500,000 mark, a mere twelve months after the new platform was rolled out.
Devices built around this 32-bit platform – leveraging the fully secure Ingecore chip – accounted for 60 percent of total Ingenico deliveries at June 30, 2004. Along with the worldwide installed base of over 5 million UNICAPT™8 and UNICAPT™16 payment systems, they clearly demonstrate that UNICAPTTM is the most widely used platform in the world.
A key component in Ingenico’s product development strategy, UNICAPTTM32 is built into the company’s entire new product range. It provides Ingenico customers with maximum flexibility in managing and upgrading their transaction infrastructure, thereby dramatically lowering terminal ownership costs:
- It offers real potential for multi-application card solutions.
- It enhances transaction acceptance and efficiency.
- It incorporates the widest range of available telecom solutions (Ethernet, Bluetooth, CDMA, GPRS, USB, Wi-Fi, ADSL) used in secure transaction and payment systems – as standard features.
- It allows for application downloading via a Public Key Infrastructure solution for digital signatures.
- It provides optimum portability for both banking and non-banking applications within the Ingenico terminal and PIN pad family, which lowers certification and technical support costs on applications.
- It guarantees transaction security while preserving data and application integrity, in particular through software and hardware firewalls, compliance with VisaPED standards and state-of-the-art cryptographic capabilities.
- It can host prepayment and signature capture applications, as well as a wide array of business-specific applications (e.g. lottery ticketing, VAT collection, healthcare, ID), thereby offering Ingenico clients new vistas for additional revenue.
Eric Lecesne, Executive Vice-President of Ingenico’s Technologies and Products Division, had this to say about the success of UNICAPT™. “UNICAPT™32 is a scalable platform capable of responding to our customers’ current and future needs, whether for multi-application card solutions or communications. It also fits in ideally with worldwide EMV migration, because it meets the security and performance requirements laid down by the standard. The fact that UNICAPT™32 is used in our betting terminals in Spain or VAT capture in China, shows that it is poised to become the benchmark for secure transaction processing; with such high delivery volume, it also shows how robust it is.”
UNICAPT™32 is the architecture leveraged by all the latest Ingenico terminals and PIN pads. Ever since they were launched in June 2003, these new devices have met with major success. The i5100, a countertop terminal for merchants, is a sterling example. Last February, it set a record for new terminal sales, with 100,000 units marketed in under 5 months.