Texas state representative Larry Phillips (R) has proposed a bill mandating RFID tags in vehicle inspection stickers. The tag would store information on the vehicle, its registration and insurance coverage.
Sec. 601.507. SPECIAL INSPECTION CERTIFICATES.
- Commencing not later than January 1, 2006, the department shall issue or contract for the issuance of special inspection certificates to be affixed to motor vehicles that are inspected and found to be in proper and safe condition under Chapter 548.
- An inspection certificate under this section must contain a tamper-resistant transponder, and at a minimum, be capable of storing:
- the transponder’s unique identification number;
- the make, model, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle to which the certificate is affixed.
- In addition, the transponder must be compatible with:
- the automated vehicle registration and certificate of title system established by the Texas Department of Transportation;
- interoperability standards established by the Texas Department of Transportation and other entities for use of the system of toll roads and toll facilities in this state.